No matter what you use your laptop for, you need it to work for you every time. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. There are a lot of things that can happen that can prevent your laptop from functioning. As long as you know what you can do, you can get back to work or back to your internet searches in no time. Many of our customers in Alexandria, VA prefer to have their Alexandria laptops repairs completed by professionals. However, some choose to perform minor repairs on their own. Here are some common problems and how to fix them if you decide to do so.
If your laptop suddenly shuts off from time to time after you have been using it for an hour or two, it could be because it is overheating. You may also notice that your laptop’s fan is constantly running or frequently freezes.
What to do about an overheating laptop
- Shut off the laptop and allow it to cool before trying to use it.
- Purchase a ventilating surface like this one for your laptop. There are a lot of different laptop surfaces that you can get on the market that will allow for better ventilation to the device which will help prevent it from overheating.
- If the problem persists, then you should take it to a laptop repair shop to have them take a closer look. A computer repair shop can identify and replace any malfunctioning parts.
Read this article for tips to prevent your laptop from overheating.
Laptop Computer Viruses
Even with protection on your laptop and avoiding websites that can give you viruses, from time to time you may get a virus. If your computer is running slow or in a manner that is unusual, you may have a virus. You can prevent computer viruses by installing anti-malware and anti-virus software on your laptop. However, if your computer already has an infection, then it is best to leave the task to a professional.
Once the viruses have been removed your laptop should begin to run more smoothly. You should also continue to update your anti-malware and anti-virus software on your laptop every time that it is available from your protection provider so you can always have the most up to date software.
No one wants to deal with a cracked screen on a laptop. This can be a huge hassle. As with most laptop repairs, you can either fix it yourself or hire a professional. For those of you who are handy, read this article to learn how to do it yourself. You may also want to watch this video. Most people find it easier to take their laptop to a computer repair shop.
Laptop Won’t Turn On or Will not Charge
If you try to turn on your laptop and it will not turn on, then there is no cause to freak out just yet. Instead, you should try to charge the battery and make sure that you have enough juice to power it up. One of the common issues with laptops is that because they are wireless, sometimes people do not realize that the battery is low or close to dying when they are trying to use it.
If your laptop will not turn on, try the following
- Plug in your laptop and give it time to charge.
- After allowing the battery to charge, you should try to remove the battery from the laptop and then put the battery back into the computer. This should allow it to reset and turn on for you.
- If either of the above does not work, you may want to approach this as a battery charge issue.
Follow these options for a battery that will not charge
- Take the battery out of the laptop and clean any dust off of it as well as where it connects to the laptop.
- Check your power cord and make sure that it does not have a short by following these steps.
- You may need to replace your battery. You can purchase laptop batteries here.
- If none of the above works, then it is time to take your laptop to a computer shop for laptop repairs.
You can hear your laptop running but only see a blank screen
A blank screen can be a scary issue. However, but there is likely a reasonable explanation for not being able to see anything on the screen. If you try to turn on your laptop and the keyboard lights up, and you can hear the fan running, but nothing is on the display, you likely have a broken motherboard or memory failure.
The hope is that there is memory failure for your laptop. The way to troubleshoot this is to try to remove the memory modules. Most laptops only have two memory modules, but you can do a quick search online to determine if that is the case for your laptop. Once you remove them, you should put on in at a time and try to turn on your laptop. If it turns on with one but does not with the other, then you have memory failure and will need to replace a memory module.
If memory failure is not the problem, then you most likely have a motherboard issue, and there is no quick fix. Take your laptop to the shop and hope for the best outcome.
Even with the possible solutions to these common problems, there is still a chance that you could need to have a professional look at your laptop. If you are not able to fix the issue on your own, you should take your laptop to a local repair shop to see what the underlying problem is and to get it fixed.